History of the Aircraft G-AMRA

The DC-3 that landed in Berlin today was built and delivered to the U.S. Air Force as „C-47B 43-49474“ on November 25th, 1944, and shortly thereafter was lent to the Canadian Royal Air Force (the No. 45 Group at Dorval, Montreal). After March 3rd, 1945, the aircraft joined Australia’s Pacific Fleet (No. 238 Squadron).

After the end of WWII, the plane was brought to England and was incorporated into the No. 525 Squadron in Membury, Wiltshire. On March 25th, 1949, she was assigned to the RAF Oakington in support of the Berlin Airlift, and made several deliveries to Berlin-Gatow. After six months of service, she was placed in storage with the No.12 Maintenance Unit.

The aircraft was sold on March 8th, 1952 and registered as „G-AMRA“. The next year she operated under U.K. government contracts taking troops to the Canal Zone in RAF livery (with serial number XE280). Shortly thereafter she was leased to Aden Oil Refining.

On June 1st, 1960, she was registered to British United Airways after being modified to Dakota 6 standards. She changed hands numerous times over the years, and in 1978 was painted as “CCCP-7245” for a movie. During the 1980s the plane flew many charters and pleasure flights in the Channel Islands.

In 1981, G-AMRA was purchased by Air Atlantique, and was operated by them until recently.

Honza Klein, Lutz Schönfeld
Press Representatives

Dieser Beitrag wurde unter Latest veröffentlicht. Setze ein Lesezeichen auf den Permalink.

Kommentare sind geschlossen.